Car accidents often leave you shaken and unsure of what to do next. Accordingly, it is easy to make mistakes in their aftermath. However, some blunders have serious consequences for the success of a car accident claim. Various mishaps make it difficult to recover the compensation you deserve. With the help of an experienced car accident lawyer, however, you will avoid mistakes and protect your legal rights.
At Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, we know accidents happen in a matter of seconds. With a lawyer on your side, you respond with proper steps to strengthen your car accident claim. Avoiding common mistakes helps protect your legal rights and allows you to pursue the full extent of the compensation you deserve for accident-related losses.
8 Biggest Mistakes You Can Make After a Virginia Car Accident
The following are among the most common mistakes motorists make after a Virginia car accident:
- Failing to seek prompt medical attention: Not seeking timely medical attention is one of the biggest oversights you might make after a car accident, even if you feel you only suffered minor injuries. Some injuries, such as whiplash or internal organ damage, might not be apparent immediately but have serious long-term consequences. In addition to receiving proper medical care, medical reports serve as important corroborating evidence in a car accident claim.
- Admitting fault: Another common mistake is admitting fault inadvertently at the accident scene, such as by apologizing. Even if you arguably caused the accident, avoid admitting fault or saying anything that could be construed as admitting fault until you have spoken with a car accident lawyer to fully understand your legal rights.
- Failing to contact law enforcement: Even if the crash does not appear to be serious, contact law enforcement as soon as possible. The police investigate the accident, create a report and document the scene. A police report is used later to show fault in a car accident claim.
- Failing to exchange information: After a car accident, it is necessary to exchange information with the other driver, including his or her name, address, phone number and insurance information. Failing to do so makes it challenging to pursue legal action to make a claim to recover damages.
- Failing to notify the insurance company: Even if you are not responsible for the accident, you must notify your insurance company promptly to avoid your claim being denied or delayed.
- Failing to consult an attorney: It is in your best interest to consult a car accident lawyer after a car accident as soon as possible to help you navigate the legal process, protect your rights and to ensure you recover the compensation you deserve.
- Providing a statement to the insurance company: If an insurance adjuster representing an insurance company contacts you, refer him or her directly to your lawyer. Do not answer any questions or provide a statement. If you provide him or her with any information, the insurance company will often try to use it against you to protect its bottom line.
- Accepting the first settlement/judgment offer: Medical expenses, damages and other losses add up. Generally, the first settlement offer to an insurance company is a lowball one that will not cover all your losses.
Working with an experienced car accident lawyer ensures you avoid common pitfalls after a car accident and allows you to focus on recovery.
Contact an Experienced Virginia Car Accident Lawyer at Waterman Law Centers, PLLC
Taking the right steps after a car accident makes all the difference in pursuing the compensation you deserve. Work with the award-winning lawyer at Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, so you focus on healing from injuries while we handle all aspects of your case, from investigating the accident to negotiating with insurance companies.
Attorney Avery T. “Sandy” Waterman, Jr., Esq. was named The Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury during 2007-2023 and was voted its “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury in Southeast Virginia in 2022; and Waterman Law Centers has been listed as a Metropolitan Tier 1 Best Law Firm for Personal Injury in U.S. News & World Report for 2021-2023. Schedule a complimentary consultation by calling (757) 906-4707 or filling out a contact form.