Suffering injuries in a car accident through no fault of your own is a traumatic experience. You should prioritize your healthcare instead of diving into the complex legal processes that follow these incidents. Therefore, one of the first steps to take after a car accident is to contact an experienced car accident law firm, such as Waterman Law Centers, PLLC. We understand the difficulties you face after a car accident, so we support you every step of the way.
Our professional and compassionate Williamsburg car accident lawyer has over 40 years of award-winning experience, so we have the skills and knowledge to take on your case, regardless of size or scope. We strive to provide top-notch service to car accident victims and advocate for their rights. These types of cases can be complicated, so we are here to help you understand the details of your claim.
Understanding Liability in Williamsburg Car Accident Cases
Car accidents inherently happen quickly, and shock and adrenaline can prevent you from remembering the details of negligence causing the crash. Depending on the circumstances, any of the following parties could be liable:
- Another driver: If another driver acted recklessly, failed to follow traffic laws, or drove under the influence, he or she can be liable for your injuries.
- A pedestrian: A pedestrian could be responsible if he or she did not follow walking signals, jaywalked, or did not give cars enough time to stop for her or him.
- A bicyclist: A bicyclist can be liable if he or she did not abide by traffic laws, operate his or her bike responsibly, or leave other vehicles enough time to stop.
- A government agency or property owner: If poor road conditions caused the accident, the government agency, other entity, or individual that owns or maintains the road could be liable.
- An employer: If a driver was working when he or she caused the accident, his or her employer can be responsible.
In addition to identifying a liable party, we will also help you gather evidence to prove the fault of the party who caused the accident. As the victim, you carry the burden of proof, meaning you have to prove the following points:
- The liable party owed you a duty of care
- The party neglected this duty by being careless
- This negligence caused your injuries and possibly other damages
We understand this can seem intimidating, but there are steps you can take after the accident to make this process easier. We suggest taking as many photos and videos of vehicles and injuries as necessary to capture each one accurately. You also can take photos of any paperwork and information exchanged. Additionally, you can write down any witness information. These details benefit your case by significantly helping your Williamsburg car accident lawyer identify important details.
Potentially Recoverable Damages After a Williamsburg Car Accident
After sustaining injuries in a car accident, you are probably worried about paying for treatment and other losses, but we can fight for you to receive the compensation you deserve for these losses. Depending on the severity of your injuries and other circumstances, you can recover the following past, present, and future damages:
- Pain, suffering, and inconvenience
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Continuing disability and limitations
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages from missed work
- Mental anguish
It is essential to keep in mind that Virginia has a general two-year statute of limitations on filing a car accident claim. While this can seem like a long time, the process can be complicated, and delays can get in the way. Therefore, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible to help you file your claim so you do not miss the opportunity to receive the compensation you deserve.
Why Should You Hire a Williamsburg Car Accident Attorney to Help with Claim?
Because every car accident and insurer are different, the claims process can be confusing. While the offending driver’s insurance adjustors encourage you to represent yourself and handle everything on your own, you risk being misled and making mistakes that could prevent you from receiving maximum compensation. With our trustworthy and knowledgeable Williamsburg car accident lawyer by your side, you can fully focus on your healthcare. We support you throughout the entire process and manage the following aspects of your claim:
- Gathering evidence like police reports, medical records, and employment records
- Answering all your legal questions
- Filing your claim timely and otherwise properly
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Determining who is liable for your injuries
- Calculating your damages
- Utilizing resources like medical professionals and accident reconstruction specialists
- Taking your case to trial if necessary
- Researching medical and technical literature
Our understanding and passionate team will listen to your story and take the weight off your shoulders by advocating for your rights and speaking on your behalf. While we do our best to settle your case out of court, we can go to trial if necessary and appropriate. We want to do what is best for you and your interests and do everything we can to make the legal process as stress-free as possible.
Consult a Seasoned Williamsburg Car Accident Lawyer at Waterman Law Centers, PLLC
Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident is not easy, especially if you have suffered injuries due to someone else’s negligence. You should contact a car accident lawyer immediately so he or she can fight for compensation while you focus on recovery. At Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, our top attorney is able to help you with every aspect of your claim so you get the best recovery.
Insurance companies can make recovering damages difficult, but our lawyer has over 40 years of award-winning experience to deal with them on your behalf and ensure you do not say anything to ruin your chances of maximum compensation. Our Williamsburg car accident attorney has the experience, skills, and resources to take on any challenge with his innovative and effective strategies. Give us a call at (757) 906-4707 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation.