If you have been involved in a hit-and-run, you know it is a distressing and disorienting experience that leaves you unsure of your next steps. However, it is essential to take immediate measures to protect yourself, your legal options and your likelihood of obtaining compensation. First, you must prioritize your safety and call emergency services to the scene. If you are able, you must document important details at the scene to help you locate the fleeing driver. Finally, contact an experienced hit-and-run accident lawyer to guide you through the legal process.
At Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, our lawyer knows the weight of dealing with an unexpected incident such as a hit-and-run. With our compassionate, award-winning legal services, rest assured that your legal rights are protected. We handle every aspect of your accident claim, from negotiating with insurance adjusters to representing you in court if necessary.
8 Steps to Take in a Hit-And-Run Accident in Virginia
The following are vital steps you should take in a hit-and-run accident that helps you strengthen your claim and protects your legal rights and self:
- Prioritize your safety: In the immediate aftermath of a hit-and-run accident, it is vital to call 911 for your safety and the safety of others involved. Even if injuries seem minor, seek medical care to prevent latent injuries and link your injuries to the accident.
- Report the accident: Contact law enforcement promptly. The police report serves as an official record of the incident and is essential to insurance claims and legal proceedings.
- Document important details: While the incident is fresh in your mind, document as many details as much as possible, such as on your cell phone. Try to recall and note the make, model, color, and license plate number of the fleeing vehicle. Additionally, note the time and location of the accident and other identifying information of the driver. Take pictures of your surroundings, vehicle damage, and any visible evidence left behind.
- Seek eyewitnesses: Look for any eyewitnesses who observed the accident and\or have information about the fleeing vehicle. Collect the contact information of witnesses and ask him or her to provide a statement regarding what happened. Witness statements are valuable when establishing the facts of a hit-and-run accident.
- Consult a hit-and-run lawyer: A lawyer guides you through the legal process, protects your rights, and helps pursue all available avenues for compensation. At Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, our award-winning lawyer will advocate for your interests, negotiate with insurance adjusters on your behalf or provide representation in court if necessary.
- Notify the insurance company: Contact your insurance company to report the hit-and-run accident. Provide the adjuster with the information you have gathered, and heed the advice of your experienced hit-and-run lawyer.
- Preserve evidence: Preserve any evidence related to the hit-and-run accident, which includes medical records and repair estimates.
- Utilize social media with caution: Avoid discussing the hit-and-run accident on social media until your case is resolved. Insurance companies and opposing parties try to use your posts against you.
After a hit-and-run accident, you must act swiftly and diligently to increase your chances of obtaining justice and compensation for your injuries.
Recovering Damages After a Virginia Hit-And-Run Accident
In a hit-and-run accident, recoverable damages depend on various factors, including the extent of injuries, whether the fleeing driver is located, and the details of your case.
In a successful hit-and-run accident claim, you are able to recover the following:
- Pain, suffering, and inconvenience
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Continuing disability and limitations
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages from missed work
- Mental anguish
Consult an award-winning hit-and-run lawyer at Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, who assesses the specifics of your case, evaluates the value of the damages you have suffered, and pursues maximum compensation on your behalf.
Contact a Hit-And-Run Accident Lawyer at Waterman Law Centers, PLLC
If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident in Virginia, you do not have to navigate the legal process alone. At Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, we advocate for your legal interests and ensure your rights are protected, whether you are seeking damages in an uninsured motorist claim or against the fleeing driver.
Attorney Avery T. “Sandy” Waterman, Jr., Esq. was named to The Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury during 2007-2024 and was voted its “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury by his peers in Southeast Virginia in 2022; and Waterman Law Centers has been listed as a Metropolitans Tier 1 Best Law Firm for Personal Injury in U.S. News & World Report for 2021-2023. Schedule a no-cost consultation by calling (757) 881-9881 or filling out a contact form.