Car accidents turn your world upside down in an instant. Beyond the physical and emotional turmoil, the aftermath of a car accident often involves a complex legal process that is overwhelming to navigate without an experienced car accident lawyer. To secure maximum compensation, you must understand the steps to take to protect your rights and ability to recover economic and non-economic losses. Seeking medical attention, reporting the accident to law enforcement, gathering evidence at the scene and, especially, consulting a highly-qualified car accident lawyer to strengthen your claim.
At Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, we help you avoid critical mistakes when pursuing a car accident claim to support your chances of a successful outcome. We have over 40 years of award-winning service and an extensive track record of success, which enables us to fiercely fight for you while you focus on recovery.
5 Steps to Take When Pursuing a Car Accident Claim in Virginia
The following are six steps you must take when pursuing a car accident claim in Virginia to protect your legal rights and to maximize your financial recovery:
- Seek prompt medical attention: In the chaos following a car accident, it is easy to brush off aches and pains. However, seeking medical attention is not only critical to your well-being, but also plays a pivotal role in strengthening your claim and linking the accident to your injuries.
- Report the accident to the police: A police report is valuable evidence, as a responding officer documents the details of the accident, establishes liability and provides a solid foundation for a claim. Failing to involve the police leaves you vulnerable, allowing the responsible party to cast doubt on your version of events.
- Gather sufficient evidence: In pursuit of a successful car accident claim, evidence is the heart of your case. Photographs of the accident, property damage, injuries and other contributing factors serve as tangible proof that supports your claim. Additionally, gathering witness names and contacts and relevant documents, such as medical records, significantly improves your chances of success.
- Consult a car accident lawyer: Consult a highly qualified car accident lawyer, as he will provide valuable legal guidance, evaluate your claim’s strength and handle the entire legal process so you are able to focus on recovery. Additionally, he will negotiate with insurance adjusters and pursue legal action if necessary. If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, your car accident lawyer will recommend seeking legal action against the at-fault party. Virginia has a two-year statute of limitations, starting from the date of the collision. However, there are exceptions, so it is best to consult a lawyer to understand your best legal options.
- Notify your insurance company: Heeding the legal counsel of your car accident lawyer, you must notify your insurance company promptly, even if the opposing driver was at fault. Cooperate fully and provide accurate information regarding the accident to your insurer, as you are required to do so for your coverage. But do not speak with the offending driver’s insurance adjuster.
Navigating a car accident claim in Virginia is complex and demanding. By working with an experienced and successful Virginia car accident lawyer, you protect your rights and increase your compensation for your injuries.
How a Car Accident Lawyer Helps Your Claim
After being involved in a car accident, victims often face various challenges when seeking compensation for their injuries. Retaining an award-winning lawyer at Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, provides victims with extensive resources, focused knowledge, and fierce advocacy throughout the process that strengthens his or her accident claim.
We help increase your chances of obtaining a favorable outcome in the following ways:
- Gathering evidence like police reports, medical records and employment records
- Answering all your legal questions
- Making your claim timely and otherwise properly
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Determining who is liable for your injuries
- Calculating your damages
- Utilizing resources like healthcare providers and accident reconstruction specialists
- Taking your case to trial if necessary
- Researching medical and technical literature
We help you navigate the complex legal process with greater ease, providing greater peace of mind knowing your rights are protected every step of the way.
Contact an Experienced Virginia Car Accident Lawyer at Waterman Law Centers, PLLC
By taking the proper steps when pursuing a car accident claim, you fortify your position and improve your chances of a good outcome. Partner with an award-winning lawyer at Waterman Law Centers, PLLC, to ensure you recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
Attorney Avery T. “Sandy” Waterman, Jr., Esq. was named to The Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury during 2007-2023 and was voted its “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury by his peers in Southeast Virginia in 2022; and Waterman Law Centers has been listed as a Metropolitan Tier 1 Best Law Firm for Personal Injury in U.S. News & World Report for 2021-2023.